Jenny West Schneider, CPDT-KA, PMCT, CNWI
CAMP CANINE USA, LLC
Dog Training & Behavior Counseling



Tracey Schowalter, CPDT-KA
AFFINITY DOG BEHAVIOR & TRAINING, LLC
http://www.affinitydogtraining.net

Thursday, October 27, 2011

PLANTING SEEDS

A lot of dog trainers are lured into the profession by a desire to solve a problem.  Perhaps a much-loved dog doesn’t play well with others, or maybe he has severe, debilitating anxiety every time he’s left home alone.  Instead of giving up, these dog owners become so full of knowledge in their quests to find a solution, the next natural step is to share that knowledge with others.

Not me.  No, sir.  I got into training, because it was fun and (I thought) pretty easy. 

My husband Bill and I adopted a little Shih Tzu/Terrier mix named Boz.  
He was practically perfect.  He walked nicely on a leash, barked only occasionally, got along well with our 2 cats and was easily housetrained.  Eventually, Boz and I took a couple of classes in clicker training for fun, and I was hooked.  I was fascinated by the deep bond I had forged with this funny, feisty, gentle little guy.  I also was blown away by his ability to learn and adapt.  I simply wanted more.

I sought out a teacher and found über-trainer Pat Miller of Peaceable Paws fame.  Back then, she was just up the road in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  To be honest, I had no clue on that first day that I was on my way to meet one of the best positive trainers on the planet.   
Fate was kind.  Pat became my mentor.  Today, I count her as a treasured friend.

It wasn’t until I began my apprenticeship with Pat that I learned the depth of understanding I would need to be a good enough trainer to guide other, more-challenged dogs through our crazy, demanding human world.  The more I learned, the more I wanted to learn.  Pat unquestionably gave me the best foundation possible to set out on my own and create Camp Canine USA

Now, years later, I have worked with countless dogs on every challenge you can name – from housetraining to serious aggression.  I train, because I want to help others enjoy their dogs the way I enjoy mine, to have a better understanding of why dogs do what they do and to teach them (the dogs) some manners along the way. 

Tracey Schowalter of Affinity Dog Behavior and Training has been a special friend and colleague since we met through Pat Miller more than a decade ago.  I am honored and just plain tickled pink to join her in this venture.  We’re proud to share our combined 30 years of experience and our passion for dogs and fun, effective, force-free methods of training them. 

Let’s plant a few seeds and see how many happy, well-adjusted dogs will grow!

Posted by Jenny Schneider, CPDT-KA, PMCT, CAMP CANINE USA, LLC

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to helping to grow lots of good dogs!

    ReplyDelete